Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Acknowledgement

This post goes along with the previous post. I think it would be remiss of me not to acknowledge a few things that have allowed me to take this yoga journey.

Financially in comparison to the outdoor activities I enjoy yoga is expensive. I wear the same favorite running clothes I've had for years. Cycling I've had the same bike and gear for years. As single mom, paying for a home, taking care of two kids and trying to put money aside for emergencies and college educations I couldn't justify that extra expensive of yoga. It's not that I didn't want to go, but an average of $12 a class was not feasible several times a week. Under one roof my expenses are now halved. For this month I did a one month membership, this certainly would not have been possible for me living solo.

Time. This is a big one for me. The studio I go to offers 3-4 classes a day, typically a morning 9 am (I am at work usually), and evenings, with a couple of 4 o'clock classes. Solo parenting I worked out when Lo was in school. Evenings I was always home with her, homework, dinner and hanging out. I'm naturally a home body so it's not like this was a hardship, plus she's an awesome kid to hang with. True she was old enough to stay alone, this however just wasn't for me. Rick has been the one that has allowed the evening classes to be possible. He helps shuttling her to and from dance, or starting dinner, or just being there. In truth without him this would not have been possible.

So while I believe yoga can and is a HUGE benefit to many, there's a few obstacles that hinder this experience for everyone.

1 comment:

kristen said...

Thanks for sharing all of that. As a homeschooler I've always struggled to find the time. I can make a million excuses, of course. I've found that if I don't exercise before everyone is awake it just won't happen. Unfortunately, I'm not super good at that. I've got a few yoga dvds, but somehow that's just not the same as a class! Love hearing about your transition into yoga. Enjoy your trip to learn more! It sounds amazing :)