Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Dogs and Yoga

Two of my favorite things these days. I just want to take a moment and make something clear. I am fortunate to be doing both. I get to spend an average of 10-14 hours a month volunteering for the humane society and I love (almost) every minute of it. I either take a dog out hiking, or come before they open or after they close to get the dogs outside to "potty" and burn off a little energy. I believe in volunteering when you can, "can" being the key word. People often put emphasis on volunteerism, and I would like to believe that most people would love to give of their time. However for a better part of my life and I know for many, the time hasn't been there, or the "luxury" to not be working and instead volunteering.

Through High School I worked to save up for college, then was a young mom working multiple jobs, opposite schedule of my husband to avoid daycare, when there likely would've been time I ended up going through a divorce becoming a single Mom, trying to balance work and home on my own.

It was my daughter a few years ago (at the time she was 12) that wanted to volunteer at the humane society. It seemed like a good idea and we'd give it a try. For the first two years, we struggled to even put in our 4 hours a month, not for lack of wanting to, but her activities increased, meaning her "drivers" duties did to. It's only in the last 8 months that life has truly slowed down, she's busier but I have more time and I am able to spend far more time there.

I still work full time, however I'm lucky to have an unconventional schedule that leaves me with a free window every afternoon from noon-three.

I know plenty of people that would love to volunteer but they work a 9-5 and their limited time home is spent with their families. Equally admirable in my opinion.

Yoga is the other one, like I've said before I desperately could've benefited from this while going through the chaos of my husbands affair then our divorce. However, I could barely afford my house, all luxuries were cut out, and yoga wasn't even started. To belong to a "studio", be it yoga, barre or Pilates is a luxury. One that is certainly nice to have in life but not necessary to our survival. Fortunately I didn't know what I was missing at the time, because now it is a huge part of my life. I practice anywhere from 3-5 times a week. Again, because the time is right.

All this is largely due to Ricks support. I'm married to a man that works hard and provides a comfortable, stable life for us. Supports us in all our crazy endeavors. My kids are older, and I have more "free" time. In general I am secure and it's the right time to give. I feel extremely fortunate to be able to volunteer. Yet, aware that not all have the privilege to be able to do this.

 

No comments: