Sunday, October 14, 2018

Part 2. Tetons and the Bitterroots Mountains

Part 2.
We made the final stop in Yellowstone and watched old Faithful, with about several hundred people.
Then rolled out and into the Grand Tetons National Park.  We didn't have reservations (again because it wasn't quite peak season) but drove into Colter Bay Campgroud and got a spot. Traveling with the jeep is great because we use tent spots, and in this park those were the really great spots. *I have heard Jenny Lake is phenomenal, however I was worried we weren't early enough for a spot there and didn't want to miss our chance at Colter Bay.
From the campsites it's a short walk (5 minutes) to the lake with impressive views of the Grand Tetons.  We packed a beverage, sat and enjoyed.  The only thing that would've made it better was our paddle boards.  We spent 2 nights here, because we hiked in the Tetons the next day.  Honestly I could've spent several days in the national park exploring.  It was not as busy as Yellowstone, there are so many hikes easily accessible at varying degrees of distance and difficulty.  Alas we were on a road trip and needed to keep going.  A place that had been on a longtime bucket list was Jackson Hole, WY. so out of the national park we went and right into Jackson.  We stayed at the White Bufffalo Club, it was great.  Had a beer and dinner at the Snake River Brewing, also good.  The town itself is easy to see on foot, beautiful and packed with great restaurants. I was glad to stay a night there, but next time would camp in the park and drive in.




We were undecided on our route from here.  We debated heading towards Stanley and camping in the Sawtooth Mountains, however the appeal of the Patagonia Outlet in Dillon, MT lead us to the Bitterroots.
The drive between Jackson and Dillon was beautiful.  We settled on camping at Lake Como. We both agreed coming back next year and exploring the Bitterroots is in order. I instantly fell in love with this area.





I know this was my husbands birthday trip, but I feel like he gave me such a gift on this trip.  Seeing the country in a way I have never seen before.  I can't wait for more!

* one note, while I love to disconnect I had my 21 and 16 year old kids staying at my house.  I have AT&T and rarely had cell service on this trip. Not knowing where we were going I tried to pop into places that had WiFi and message my kids ahead of time our plan, and check in with them.  This definitely made me nervous at times!

No comments: