Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Running?

So this last year was about pushing myself out of my comfort zone. Take on new challenges. And I have to say I had some very liberating moments.
The year started with some cycling goals. Lars and I wanted to do STP (Seattle to Portland). I knew endurance wise with preparation I could make that happen. The challenge for me was riding with thousands of people. So we started in February with Chilly Hilly around Bainbridge Island (highly recommend), then a 60 mile Alefest in April around Lake Wenatchee, June we did our first century ride (100 miles), and July we did STP going 150 miles the first day and staying the night in Kelso WA, finishing the last 57 miles into Portland the next morning (very fun)!
Well around April Lars started getting bored, he decided to sign us up for the 10k in the Wenatchee marathon. Not once in the last 30 years have I ever considered myself a "runner". Low and behold we did it, I'm not sure if the run was fun, but the fact that some of the lovely ladies in my life also ran, I had a blast.
In short that started something....a new goal.. the 1/2 marathon at the Oktoberfest. Thanks goodness for Julee, she signed up and I couldn't back out. We ran the whole thing together, felt great and it was gorgeous. This was my liberating moment.. a year ago I never would've thought I would be capable of it, but here we were 2 gals in our thirties running our 1st 1/2 and did it in under 2 hours (Lars also ran and finished 1hour 49 minutes)!

Julee and I at the finish!



I think we do it for the cool shirts!

The most recent run 10/22 Pumpkin Run. This was a 6k run with no timing chip, the emphasis on family and fun. It was 6k of hill after hill. I didn't know you could get so many hills in such a short distance..needless to say I was a very bitter runner. The lesson I learned was don't go by distance, look at the dang coarse! Not all was lost Luke ran a 2k and Logan ran a 1k with some friends, they enjoyed it way more than their mom!

Lo and her friends getting ready!


Before we ran (I was still happy)

4 comments:

The Hunter Family said...

Go blogger go! What is Lo wearing that one pic??

Jenni said...

She wore a cape for the run!!!

The Hunter Family said...

of course she did... she beats to her own drum - in a good way!

The Hunter Family said...

Love those spandex!! Flaunt it if you've got it!
Can't wait to see you guys over T-Giving. Gobble gobble