Thursday, October 1, 2009

Marathon Training

So as most of you know, in just over 2 weeks I will run my first marathon (26.2 miles). As soon as STP was over I started following a plan I thought would work for my life. Its called the FIRST training plan by Bill Pierce. What appealed to me was it's 3 runs a week, however theres a catch, you do; one speed work, one tempo and one long run a week, as well as 2-3 cross training days at a semi hard effort. Great, I threw cycling and swimming into it!
I am almost at week 14 of the plan, and I am TIRED!!!!!! My body hurts and I am questioning my sanity to sign up for this.
These are the few things I now live off of and with:
Ibuprofen, I now take several times a day to keep my knee from swelling, as well as the knee brace I now wear to work and for runs.

The Protein plus power bars, because running a business and being a mom, I never quite have time for that "balanced" meal. Shots BLOKS, GU, and I read somewhere you are supposed to see what drink the race is using and train off that, so Gatorade Endurance it is!

And the BEST yet, my Zoot compression socks. I got these last week after my last 20 mile training run and wish I had gotten them earlier. I would recommend these to anyone, because my legs are in a constant state of swelling and aching I am now wearing them to work since I stand for 6-7 hours!
The best $50 I have ever spent, I am now looking into the compression tights!

Two weeks and here I come Nike Women's Marathon in San Fran!

1 comment:

Sara D. said...

Jenni - you are such a stud. I think it is awesome you are doing the marathon. Someday I want to grow up to be like you. :-)