Friday, March 25, 2016

Home...

They say home is where the heart is, however mine has been slow to follow. In large part because we moved in, a week later a major wind storm took a good chunk of the roof off, and a week after that I left to Costco Rica.

The roof, it's getting resolved with our insurance company. We've opted to have the entire side redone in a 45 year up 110mph wind guarantee. Insurance is paying a good chunk, but forking out the rest so soon after moving in with other plans of how we wanted to spend money is a little disheartening. Also as a temporary fix until they can get to doing our roof we have a tarp, one that flaps and makes a lot of noise through the night, so neither Rick or I are sleeping good. It's a little ironic, I use to live close to downtown and two blocks off the main route to the hospital so I dealt with sirens for 8 years, after some time I didn't even notice them. I move to the foothills with an amazing view and by all accounts looks to be so quiet, well these views in a valley clearly come at the cost of the wind howling through.

That the view from the kitchen. The views and the house itself is beautiful. The layout is a dream come true. However quite possibly my favorite space is the deck.

My walls are bare, and fine by me. The house needs to be painted in a desperate way, so before I hang and have to take down that needs to be done. Also I don't do knick knacks. I don't decorate for the sake of filling space. Anything in my house is there for a reason, not to accommodate those that come over so they think my house looks pretty. It will be years before we fully "decorate", because we are just starting this life together. The "things" that will be in my house will tell the story of us, Rick, myself and the kids.

My new bathroom is about the size of my old bedroom. No joke. It's great, but I'll warn anyone that likes nice hot steamy baths, a walk in shower is NOT the way to go. It's drafty. However, I will be ok with that, we just turned our water heater up to a dangerous level of high.

I'm excited for spring, excited to figure out how to take care of the yard, excited for the foothills to open to trail running, excited for dinner on the deck and lazy days reading there. My heart is making its way there.

 

No comments: