Thursday, March 9, 2017

Love and Trust

I can't tell you how many times a woman after going through a tough break up has asked me if it was hard to open my heart to love and trust another post divorce.   This is why I share my story.  After my divorce I looked to my best friend. She was with (and now married) to this amazing man that loves her and her son dearly.  She was very clear about the struggles she faced after her divorce, she was open with the fact that it takes time and work to get through,  yet she gave me so much hope as well.  Good was still to come.

The answer is no it wasn't hard to open my heart to love and trust again.  It definitely wasn't something I went right out and sought, but after my divorce was final I pulled up my big girl pants and made myself be open to dating.  I went on some really great dates with great guys.  None that I felt a connection that I wanted keep dating....until I met Rick.  I didn't know this guy at all (although when he picked me up he let me know he had in fact been to my house a few years before when we all met for a group ride). I remember feeling a connection and excitement when we talked on the phone those couple days leading up to our date.  Our first date lasted 13 hours and we were on the phone the next morning making plans to see each other again.   We had something special from the get go.  I knew I was in love a few months later when we were at a little beach house in Manzanita.  There hasn't been a single moment in our relationship where I didn't  trusted him.  I'm certain he always has my best interest at hand.  Love and trust came easy, because it felt right.  I knew things could end, and if they did I would be heartbroken, but the love I felt wasn't worth ending to save potential heartache in the future.  I wanted to feel it, and so glad I embraced it.

I truly believe we all get the chance to live a fulfilling life.  It just takes time and a lot of little lessons placed before us before we can truly find and appreciate that great feeling of loving and being loved.

No comments: