Friday, December 1, 2017

Moderation, what's that?

Being 40 and experiencing a career change is much like when I was 33 and ending a 15 year relationship.
Like getting divorced I was happy where I was when everything ended. I had changed jobs only once in the past and that was due to a terrorist attack.  So it's safe to say I like to commit to something, settle in and do it well.
I am definitely NOT one of those people that changes careers, cars and/or men every few years (in fact I have a new car, but rarely drive it because I like my old car).  I'm a pretty content person with my life.
I got a cold this week and my boss asked if I had been stressed, I don't remember the last time I was truly stressed (OK I do but that was just because two people were lying so much it was stressful trying to decipher the truth).  The extent of my stress is trying to get to yoga and find a parking spot on time, when I live in a town where people consistently drive 5 under the speed limit and I want to go 5 over.

Anyways my job ends, and I have to idea what I really want to do.  I go to work at the airport part time, this is also the first time in my life where I am in a good place financially so this is really about figuring out what makes me happy.
Well, like being single after a divorce, opportunities start appearing out of the woodwork. Job opportunities I had never even considered.  Legit and good ones, I ended up going with managing a cafe, because it felt comfortable.  I was also helping a friend at a wine bar, and still at the airport.  So September I worked part time, October I was back to 50-60 hours a week.  As a business owner, I had put in this much time, although I worked the stand only 25-30 hours a week everyone assumed that's all I worked.  Working and balancing all these jobs really is not that difficult for me.  What is difficult is saying no.  I don't need to be working this much, but I feel grateful for the opportunity.  I also like the income, and being able to make a little extra to help my son with college. 
I'm currently working on saying no, and dwindling down to 40 hours again.  The cafe is good, just very busy and a lot of work.  The airport I absolutely love, but don't actually make anything, the wine bar, well I think I am better at drinking wine.
This is why I haven't been blogging (just in my head), because I basically work, chat with Lo surf the internet for an hour then sleep!
Stay tuned, I'll keep you posted where this all leads.

No comments: