Sunday, August 11, 2019

Paris Part Deux

I've decided to post the rest of Paris in photos.  Paris is overwhelming, in the sense there is so much to see and do.  We spent a week there, initially I thought I'd never want to go back (keep in mind we came from Dublin with some of the most friendly people I have ever met traveling), but a few days in the beauty of this place grew on me and I know we were merely touching the surface on all there is to see.  The photos you'll see are places Lo and I had each read about and made a point to see, there are many things left still to be seen.  Most days were spent seeing several places, we averaged 10 miles a day walking, but really enjoyed this way of seeing the city.  One entire day was spent at Euro Disney and I will do a separate post on that.
I have been to many countries in Europe, traveled to Asia and Central America as well.  All with languages other than English, Paris was the one country you need to at least learn the basics in French to really enjoy your time there.  This trip was Lo's dream trip. She had taken 3 years of French, and while she wasn't fluent she got us around, she ordered our macrons and baguettes daily, and translated how many euros were needed.  I'd bring her back in a heart beat!
Obviously the Eiffel tower.  We walked from the 6th here, it was a decent walk.  We stopped on way through Rue Cler, a market street for a baguette (our Paris staple) and macarons.  So many great shops along here to grab picnic items.  We opted not to go up the tower, and instead go up the Arc de Triomphe so we would have views of the Eiffel Tower.

Basically everything in Paris is picturesque

There are no words that can truly describe Angelina's, it is that good. Their desserts are unlike anything I have ever tasted, but they are know for their hot chocolate.  Trust me I thought what's the big deal....it's a big deal.  I have no idea what is in that, but has ruined all other hot chocolate for me.  Sitting inside was lovely and should be done, however we craved their sweet treats after and they do have a shop at the front you can grab and go.  The Tuileries is across the way so if it's busy the gardens make for a lovely place to eat. Word of caution, 1 dessert is enough to share, our eyes were always bigger than our stomach and entered dessert coma after!

Again, picturesque.  This is the beauty of walking, it was breathtaking.  Of course my daughter did find a Lululemon while shopping in Le Marais

We stayed in the 6th arrondissement, which is lined with fabulous cafes.  This one happened to be smoke free, with great vegetarian foods and right across from the Luxembourg Gardens (which was my favorite).  In fact I loved this whole area between the 5th and 6th.  On this particular day we walked to see the Pantheon and went to the Marie Curie museum (small but so worth it). Ok and we can't forget french wine, even cheap french wine it good...like so good!
We got an early start one day to head to Notre Dame.  We were there in late March and did get tickets ahead of time, but just that morning to avoid cuing up.  In fact we had no problem getting day of tickets anywhere this time of year.  This building dates back to 1200 and sits at the center of Paris, I loved it.

This was a month before the fire so we were able to go up in the bell tower, well worth it.

Seeing the gargoyles up close was remarkable

After we walked to the Eiffel Tower we walked to the Arc De Triomphe, we wanted views of the city that included the tower. This was a great spot, but I recommend using the rest rooms before you get there.  They were pretty bad, and could've done without experiencing that.


No shortage of desserts for us in Paris, gelato in Europe is always so good.

This picture doesn't even begin to do Saint Chapelle justice.  We walked over from Notre Dame and did not plan to be blown away.  It was remarkable and should be on everyone's list.  It doesn't take long in there, so easy to fit in.  Also Lo was free inside all attractions.  Anyone 18 and under!
For my Gossip Girl loving girl this was our go to macarons. We definitely ate others, but Laduree is all over Paris.

Just thinking about these I get hungry!
More pictures on the next post!  I took hundreds, but just giving the sample over everywhere here.

No comments: