Saturday, January 8, 2011

Frugal Living

"Avoiding unnecessary expenditure either of money or of anything else which is to be used or consumed; avoiding waste"


en.wiktionary.org/wiki/frugal
 
I get asked often how I do it.  Most recently sitting with my lawyer listing assets and debts,  basically Lars and my division of this was very simple.  Our only debt is our house.  We (me more so) make very little.  So little I am fairly certain my kids could qualify for free lunch based on our income.  However this has never been an issue, I live for a quality of life over quantity of things.
 
My motto has always been to live well within my means.  My means have now gotten a little smaller and may take a little more thought.
 
These are some of the things we have done over the years that add up in big ways, at the same time I have NEVER felt like I live "without".
 
-Our first house we saved up until we had the 20% to put down on it
-Since the kids were born we have not had cable (I have no idea the going rate for cable)
   -and this was before you could watch everything online, I do splurge for Internet!
-Stayed in our first house almost 10 years had a nice down to put on my current house
-Changed from gas heat to electric (saved hundreds of $$ per month in the winter)
-Keep the heat at 70
-I get my hair cut max 3 times a year  (have to have Lukes done every 6 weeks)!
-I do not do mani's, pedis, or any other salon treatments
-I book vacations when I have the money saved for them
-Spending money on vacation comes from loose change we save all year
-I DO NOT use credits cards except for the business and to book a trip and pay for gas
-My spending money for groceries comes from tips
-My business credit card is a mileage card and usually pays for a couple RT tickets to Hawaii each year
-Pay bills early and in full (no late fees or interest charges)
-I rarely buy clothes.  I allow myself 1 new pair of jeans a year (if I want designer, I buy at Nordstrom rack)
-All others clothes I spend between $100-$150 for the year, with the exception of 1 new work shoes a year and twice a year running shoes)  I will say Luke's clothing budget has far exceeded mine!
-Majority of my shopping is done at Costco (clothes, food, electronics, appliances..you name it)
-I have a basic cell phone plan (no Internet on it)
- I live a cash life, if I don't have it, I don't buy it.  Coming back from vacation this time I came home with money, I have wanted to finish painting my bedroom but haven't had extra money for this, with my extra money I bought paint!
 
I love living simple.  It is not for everyone, but things like a bedroom set, or now I have no furniture in the basement bedroom or family room, doesn't bother me.  I'll one day...maybe, if I feel like it piece something together.  I am way behind....but I don't mind.
 
Don't get me wrong with two incomes I knew we would figure out a way to pay for the kids college.  And I knew when Luke was 16 he would get the old honda and Lars would get a new car.  On one income these things are so far out of reach , it does stress me out.  I've talked with Luke about the car situation, as for now as an almost 14 year old he is cool with a bike...and right now I just love that!

6 comments:

Lucie said...

love you how do it Jenni! A bit more inspiration to me to try and do more of the same. Your pictures from Hawaii looked beautiful..we're going in 2 weeks for a long weekend (friend's wedding) and I never get tired of going to the island.

Amy said...

We have VERY similar ways to live life! If we don't have cash we don't buy it! We have no credit cards and my van is paid off buy 6 years old! I will drive it into the ground....we don't go out to eat that often....We paid for our NYC trip out of cash...it was a good feeling to not feel stressed about those things....when you save, you enjoy things more...

You're going to do great! You're an inspiration...keep passing it on to others who need your bright sunshine!! <3

Jack and Susie Evans said...

It sounds like you are doing well! I personally don't think its a parent's job to just provide things for kids other than morals, ethics, and some other good rules to live by. I got my first car when I was 23 and I worked full time and went to school full time for 8 years of college. My parents did give me some money periodically, but my father got ill and lost his job when i was in high school and my mother had to go back to work so there wasn't much money to go around. I feel lucky that I learned so much by working and by working I was in an elite fraternity of guys and girls who were also working and had a different outlook on life. I learned a lot from those people.

The Hunter Family said...

My coupons don't look so bad now! I will teach you my ways. We've cut our monthly grocery budget down by a couple hundred dollars every month. It's worth it. And as for Luke's hair, Ian will gladly give him the Ian/Cal special ;)

As for the car situation, giving a 16 year old keys to a car scares the crap out of me. I think any excuse to wait until 18 for them to have a car is a good thing.

**nicke... said...

i think you are amazing!

Kristen said...

hi! i don't even remember how i stumbled upon your blog a few weeks ago. my family and i moved away from wenatchee last year, over to the seattle area, but i remember chatting with you once or twice during the kids' swimming lessons at the wrac.

i loved your frugal living tips! i'm so impressed with how disciplined you are. i have felt very convicted to pay off debt and live more frugally, esp. since our cost of living has almost doubled since moving over here. please feel free to share any more awesome tips that might come to mind!

you mentioned that you only get your hair cut a few times a year...how do you keep it looking so healthy and shiny?