Thursday, May 26, 2016

To the Toes

I understand this is not a big deal for most, but it's kind of a big deal to me.....

In my 38 years I have NEVER touched my toes, until now!
I am hooked on yoga, I LOVE everything about it. I was reading some bios of yoga teachers recently and most say yoga came to them when they most needed it. I likely needed it the most when I was going through my divorce, but being the solo full time parent with little help from my Ex and on a tight budget it wasn't in the cards.
Last year when I signed up for the Costa Rica retreat I was actually at a great place in my life, but this was something I hadn't tried. It intrigued me to actually see if I could get better. The feeling has been similiar to when I signed up for the Ironman 70.3 without ever competing in an open water event, much less ever swimming a mile and a half. You step WAY out of your comfort level, with zero guarantees of succeeding, but then miraculously you do, and anything seems possible.
This is what starting a regular yoga practice was like for me. I have cycled, ran and lifted for years. Flexibly and balance have never been a part of my life. However, in order to enjoy the retreat I needed to immerse myself in it between October and February. Here now in May I can touch my toes. I've noticed other changes in the way I am able to open up in poses. My balance is actually decent. My body is different than it's ever been, and I love it. I used to do cardio 6 days a week and lift 1-2. I like being toned, however when my arms toned up my chest was almost nonexistent. I don't go to the gym now. I run on the trails, hike and cycle (outside is crucial for me), and do yoga 2-4 times a week. I'm fit, but curvier. The things my body is capable of now I know I am stronger, AND I actually have a chest, probably for the first time in 38 years (ok, that's not totally true, but close)!

Plus the calm it brings, is a but like the best natural high ever!

No comments: