Friday, June 3, 2016

Half an Empty Nest

It been almost a year since my son graduated from High School, and 9 months since he started college here in town and moved in with his Dad. I get asked a lot how I'm doing with that. Surprisingly well! The truth is it's been an easy transition. Most of his friends left town for college, I still see or talk to my son daily, I just don't have to clean up after him anymore. My son was ready to be with his Dad, and approaching 40 this year, I think his Dad is ready to help parent again (or parent a 19 year old as much as you can parent them).
For those that have been single parents, you may be able to relate. I've been parenting my kids on my own since they were 13 and 8, with the exception of everyother weekend. My kids became my entire focus. I was stressed financially and exhausted physically. I was obsessed with making the days count, and them not feeling as though they were missing out on anything. My son is an amazing kid, and possibly the most laid back kid ever. By his senior year he was asserting his independence, but I still had certain expectations of him for helping around the house. To his credit he had spent the last 5 years in a house with just women, and he was awesome.

I feel it's good for he and his dad to spend some time together. There were a lot of important years missed. Ultimately his Dad and I are on the same page, just our approaches are very different. I think ahead, and plan, he stresses in the moment when things arise, but gets it done.
In my new house my son has his own bedroom and bathroom in the downstairs. He is welcome to return and live with us at anytime, and he knows that. However living with me there are rules and expectations. I am still raising a 14 year old daughter, in a family environment with Rick. She's responsible for helping out around the house and despite age he would be too. Right now he likes his freedom and lack of rules. I understand, and it's all good.
He's doing well in school and working, I'm proud of him, and love him immensely. That's what's important.

No comments: