Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Slowing Down

I got a dog last August from our Humane Society.  Lo and I had taken him on a hike like we have with so many other dogs, but there was something about when I put him back in the kennel I knew he was my dog.  I was going through some serious transition at the time, my business ending and I had already started with Horizon so the timing seemed off, but there was such a strong feeling I couldn't ignore.  The fact that he was clearly part border collie was the saving grace to appeal to my husband who had just lost his border collie mix after 16 years and was certain we did not need another dog.

After losing Kaiser, it was hard being out on the trails without him.  I'd go but it wasn't the same.  The joy and security I felt on our adventures was now missing, and I desperately wanted it back.  I was also unsure about getting a dog, I knew I did not want a puppy.  You can't run with a puppy until they are almost a year old, and my sole purpose for wanting a dog was to run.  I didn't want to do the puppy chewing, digging and getting up in the middle of the night and most importantly I knew I did want a rescue dog.  After having taken so many great ones out, I knew that would be my next dog.  I will say, rescues are not for everyone.  It is hard because you do not know their history or what they have been through.  My kids were older so I wasn't worried about them, and I knew I would take the time and spend the money I needed to on training a dog.  And I did.

Doug is what his name became.  He was a stray that had been adopted out twice and quickly returned (he had and still has separation anxiety).  We came up with some really great names, but walking amongst the douglas firs I called him Doug and it was the first time he responded, so he became Doug.

We run or hike 6 days a week.  We typically go 4-7 miles, and once a week 10-15.  Even though I am running more than I ever have in my life, I am running slower.  I am taking it all in.  I stop and watch Doug run, I stop and watch the birds, we walk up the beautiful places (and there are a lot) so we don't miss them.

I am not signed up for any trail races, for the first time in years.  Not because I don't like them but after losing Kaiser, I regretted the time I didn't spend with him.  The days those races would come I always wished he could be with me.  So this year, I just run with Doug, slowly, taking it in. 


No comments: