Thursday, December 30, 2010

Picture Perfect

Today the kids and I went to Makalawena Beach.  We had been there  2 years ago and I remember it being nice, what I forgot was it is stunning!  I also forgot that from the time you pull away from the hwy (between mile marker 91 and 90) for the next 20 minutes you are on what they posted as "unimproved" roads...more like a lava path.  Once to the lava parking lot you walk along a lava path for 10 minutes (give or take) to the first beach, there are some abandoned red houses and you carry on to the next path for the next 20/30 minutes until you reach (in my opinion) the most beautiful beach!
If you go to this beach ( I highly recommend if you are on the Big Island)  a few things to consider.  1. if you get car sick you may rethink this or take something ahead of time, 2. the hike gets warm, go before its too hot and 3. pack light, but do take a cooler with beverages and lunch!
A little break on the path to the beach


We arrived

The sand is light colored and so soft

My two little beach bums

This picture doesn't even do it justice




On the way back, these are two of the greatest troopers ever


The "unimproved" road

1 comment:

kathleen c said...

Love this pic of you and Lo!!