Monday, October 14, 2013

In it's Glory

Busy but fulfilling weekend.  We spent Friday and Saturday in the Tri-cities catching up with family and watching my son in his cross country meet.  Sunday we took advantage of the beautiful fall temperatures and likely last weekend we would be able to get up to this lake and hiked with Lo to Lake Minotaur.   This is my favorite hike, perhaps it's the two lakes for the hike of one, or head up a little further to Labyrinth and get fabulous views of Glacier Peak.  In my opinion the best time is late September, the colors are amazing, temperatures are great and no bugs!  However we have been BUSY, so we were a little later this year.  I knew Lo would be fine (I have friends with kids younger than her that have gone), it's steep but short, personally the coming down is probably the worst.  If you have weak knee's this may not be the hike for you.
I took a pack for this one and Lo carried the camelback.  The secret I have learned to hiking with kids, is be prepared, or overly prepared.  We figured we would encounter snow at the lake (ended up encountering it much earlier and much more of it than expected).  We wore wool socks, water resistant pants over our Patagonia long underwear, breathable but warm long sleeves, and thin thermal gloves for going up.  In the pack I carried warm gloves for coming down, hats, and coats all for the lake and coming down.  Plus snacks, an absolute must for kids travel and of course my camera (the best part of hiking).
Lo was a trooper.  She rocked this hike, didn't complain and had fun with it.  I have to admit I wasn't as thrilled about working half the way up AND down in 2-3 feet of snow.  There was one set of foot prints ahead of us, so that meant a lot of losing our balance, snow giving way and falling down, not to mention the extra work it took too.  She was amazing.  Spending hours outdoors with those I love is probably the greatest treat to me. 
Here's Minotaur in its late fall glory.  Heading up Labyrinth  wasn't really even an option on this day!




Done and still smiling
One other tip to hiking when the weather starts to change.  Always pack dry socks and a change of clothes!  Happy Hiking!

No comments: