Saturday, November 15, 2014

Cleansing the Mind

I run because it's good for me. I know how I will feel out there and how I will feel when I am done. Wenatchee is a funny place as far as athletes around, it's cliquey, you get identified as a "runner" "cyclist" "triathlete" "yogi'" "swimmers" "cross fitter". Some people (of which I am close to) are hell bent on identifying themselves as one. I choose not to belong to any, but to enjoy them all, as they all have a purpose. My "cyclist" friends (and I'll pick on them for a sec because they are the ones I am around the most), get so grumpy as soon as the bitter cold sets in and the trails are closed. Losing motivation to ride, complaining about not riding, and coming up with on going plans to get in shape. News flash, this is our weather and where we live, it happens EVERY year, nothing new there.
This is why I run. I am so grateful to be out there doing SOMETHING, it's why I learned to Nordic ski a few years ago. I despise the bike trainer, I know I don't like it, hence riding on Christmas Eve last year, hitting ice and breaking my hand, so I learned and took up other outdoor sports to stay in shape and clear my mind.
I always decide the night before what workout I will do in the morning, I NEVER leave it to chance on seeing what the weather will be. If the forecast is questionable I always just plan to run, but having it in my head of how I am going to start my day is the sure way it will happen.
This morning I knew I was going to trail run, the forecast was between 18-21 degrees, I planned to go when I woke and I did. I had perma grin out the there, it was cold, but I was dressed right, ran into a couple of friends and almost (literally) a buck. I was excited and grateful for my life and the day ahead.
 
I stopped to take this and my snot actually froze, it was that cold
This is not my photo, but I saw this on Pintrest and couldn't say it better myself.
Today is a good day to be a "runner"!
 
 

No comments: