Friday, November 14, 2014

Travel: It's my Thing

I can't tell you how many times someone comments on the amount I travel, then  promptly follows it with telling me WHEN I won't be able to travel as much. I don't reply but I feel like posing the questions of, how much is that new car you are driving, is there a time you are not going to race as much (because let's face it, races add up too, one of the primary things I have cut out to travel more), do you have cable television, how much do your jeans cost, more bikes, wheels and such (that's a big one in my world) oh shopping trip AGAIN...people we all choose how we live our lives, own the way you live yours.
I work a fair amount at my own business, making very little, not exactly the American dream, but it allows flexibility to be with my children and work. My retirement consist of a measly IRA (and no in my divorce I didn't touch my ex husbands), and my house. I drive a very functional car (that lacks a lot of luxuries that would be nice), it's fuel efficient and I live within a mile of my work, kids school, groceries and bank (yeah my average monthly gas is around $50). I don't have cable television, or new clothes. The only new shoes I ever buy are running shoes. My furniture is used, worn and comfy. The only one with an actual bedroom set is my daughter. I don't do knick knacks that don't serve a purpose. I certainly don't feel like I am missing out. Those things do nothing for me, what feeds my soul is travel. Experiencing different cities, meeting the people that live in these places. In the U.S alone there is diversity everywhere, abroad it's the different cultures. The greatest experiences in my life have come from traveling. The most growth in my life has come from traveling. Some of the best memories the kids and I have made are on our trips.
This year my finances took a bit of a beating, I've been paying off lawyer bill to update my parenting plan, this came out of money I set aside for the wedding, then my sons fuel pump went out and my dog ended up in emergency surgery to the tune of $2400. Such is life, no I don't make enough to cover any of that, but I have been saving the last few years for a new roof, so I sucked it up put on my big girl panties and used that to pay it off. Such is life. I have two trips already booked from this summer in the next four weeks, Iceland and Costa Rica, again I didn't really have money for them, so I sold both my time trial bike and cross bike. I also have sold quite a bit of unnecessary furniture and household items on Craigslist to pay for those trips.
I guess what I am getting at is, I will never actually have money to travel, but it will never stop me.
(Thanks Katie for this one)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Awesome! You are inspiring! Thanks for sharing all of that!