Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A Week

We've been back a week. The kids went to their Dads for the week that happens once a year. However it hasn't been as bad this year. I spent a solid 12 days away with them which is huge, so now it's time to get back to the grind, work, home and working out. They're busy with their friends that are home and out of the last four years, my ex and my relationship has significantly improved. In large part because of someone no longer in his life, along with the positive changes he is trying to make, and finally being honest on all accounts. Truth, honesty, it's what I value the most in all my relationships. We're not perfect co parents, but we are significantly better than what we were, and that's a great step.
Work's good, feels much busier at the hospital than years past. Unfortunately (for patients) it's a good thing for me, yet at the same time I crave the slower days of the past when I really got to connect with the people (employees in particular) there. It's six hours of non stop line up of coffees, of all varieties. It's loud, messy, and I leave with a serious knot in my back. Yet, I wouldn't be anywhere else.
Travel. We returned from Iceland Novemeber 30th and took off for Costa Rica December 12, both were amazing. Both ignited that passion in my soul. I had forgotten how much I love international travel. How much I love other cultures and different perspectives on the world. How much we can all learn. I can't believe it had been so long. I believe the last time I had left the country was for a trip to Hong Kong in 2001 (pre 9/11). The fire has been relit, and I crave more, lots more. Where I don't know, I just know there is a very big world out there I need to experience and learn from.
 
* on the Costa Rica trip I realized there is a little misconception about me. You see my fiancé does NOT like travel, once he's there he's fine, but the getting there is not pleasant. He made a comment on the way home about me not minding it, I thought about this, for a while. Truth is, does any of us like being crammed into a seat for 7 hours, getting restless legs and swollen feet (yeah that's new for me, is it an age thing), or the mass cattle herd through security in which we all scramble to get our liquids out, belts shoes and coats off, then promptly back on, I don't think so. I know I don't. For me it's mind over matter. That part all sucks, but it's unavoidable IF you want to travel, so create the opportunity for something good in a crappy situation. I enjoy reading, and never seem to have enough time for it, I usually put a couple books on my IPad and pack a few paperbacks (something I love), I talk myself into how great it will be to have that many hours to read. So really I don't totally dig the travel itself, but I can and will get excited for it so the misery doesn't win and ruin my experience.
 
Now to figure out how to save for more travel. In the meantime I will keep Pura Vida in my heart
 
 

No comments: