Thursday, January 8, 2015

Wedding.

I'm starting to understand how Jennifer Anniston must feel with the "baby pressure", ok not in as big of a way, but at least once a day I get asked if we've set a date. No. We are no closer either. As I've said before any money I had saved I spent this fall on my dog, sons car and a lawyer bill, all money well spent and very glad I had it on hand. That being said, I'll give you a run down on the basics of the wedding industry. It's big business I tell you. For the record it makes me want to elope, however that won't happen. Photography seems to be a minimum of $2,000, catering cost a min of $2,000. Ok we're at $4,000 (or roughly three vacations) and we haven't touched on alcohol (a must), venue (thankfully we have a friend with a beautiful barn that has offered her place and the rental of chairs and table for a reasonable price), damn there's the wedding dress (I firmly believe I can do on the cheap), Luke and Lo's clothes, minimal decorations and a few flowers, oh crap the wedding cake and invitations too......see where I am going. Doing it on the cheap adds up to around $7500 (five vacations). I have an envelope started but it's nowhere near there.
The other BIG issue, I'd like to live with my husband when we get married. My fiancé's house is a bit of a mess right now, like we don't fit. He's been in a big house solo for years, and two rooms look like a bike shop, there's some organizing to be done (a lot). We were also going to do some remodeling projects, kind of make it feel like a home for Lo and I, but those are behind. Add to that, I love my house, I love where I live and the major deal, it's walking distance to my daughters school. This is huge, I work early in the am before she goes to school, and being uncertain of where Luke will be next year I need to be able to know she can get to and from school. My fiancé rides in the am during the spring, and I've been trying to add more hours at work since the kids are older and anticipated expenses next year.....so she's left to walk. Next year will be her last at this particular school, then the following year it won't matter as much because I can bring her with me to work and she will be able to walk across the street to the hospital.......everytime I'm asked if we got married or set a date I explain all of this. I get it people, I would ask too, but some days I want to just say No and leave it at that!
 
When we do set a date I am sure everyone will know, you may even get bored with all the details because I am sure I will get excited to plan it then!

2 comments:

Katie Rice said...

OH MAN. I'm in a friends wedding next year and they are doing all of it for under $5000 and it's a huge stretch! For the record, if you decide on a Spring or Summer date, Pike Place Market has the best flowers for $10 a bunch or less. Even if you clean them out you wouldn't be spending more than $500-700... It might be worth a drive to Seattle for!

Jenni said...

That's a great tidbit to know!! Over here they are pricey, so well worth a trip over!