Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My Bed

I love it. My favorite place to be at night and the place I least want to leave in the morning. Here's the thing, I've never had my bed to myself. This isn't bad, however I just really enjoy it on my own now. It's piled with a ton of heavy blankets, really good thread count sheets, six pillows. I alternate sides or sleep in the middle. I just love it.
I know when I say this, most will not agree with my choices, but I've never regretted a moment of this. When my son was born, we had the cradle and crib, he never slept in either, not once. I couldn't pathom to let my most precious being in the entire world out of my arms at night. We did the family bed. It worked great, he slept good, when he nursed in the night, we all dozed right back off. He stay there until I was very pregnant with his sister and we moved him and our beloved Great Dane to the room next door. We did the same when our daughter was born. I never questioned it or desired her to be in her own room. There was never a thought to do the "cry out", it just wasn't for us. My method of parenting was relaxed and unscheduled. My children's every need was met when they needed it. I wanted them to know two things, they were loved and could always count on me. People frowned on our choices and we heard over and over that down the road we would be sorry. Well my children are almost 18 and 13 and I feel confident I did the right thing for them.
 
Our daughter was moved to her own room around the age of four (same as her brother) without any issues, when my ex husband left in 2010, that very night she moved herself back into my room, alarm clock, eye shades and all. This year I finally had to kick her out, the girl is lanky and slightly violent in her sleep, now the bed is my own. There are great memories I wouldn't trade for the world of sharing my bed, but I sure like my little own sanctuary now.
 
 
 

No comments: