Sunday, May 17, 2015

Hills

This is the second weekend in a row I spent running in one of my favorite places, the Methow Valley. Last weekend I did the last 14 miles of the Sunflower Marathon Relay with one of my best friends, hot, hilly, and amazing. This weekend was a 25k (15 miles) on the trails I ski in the winter by Sun mountain. After seven years of running I still cringe at the thought of calling myself a runner. Not because I believe you need to be good to be called a runner (I am adequate at best), but I think you'd enjoy it more than I do. I love these trail runs, but they are a challenge (which I also like), I always think maybe if I ran more I'd be better, but truth is I run 3 time a week and maybe only like one of those runs a week.
Back in 2010 my friends and I were called "selfish" because we ran and did races. I don't find running selfish in the LEAST bit. As a young child I was in leg braces. I hated running in elementary because my teachers let me know how bad I was at it. It wasn't until 2008 at 30 years old I decided to run, got injured six months later training for a marathon and spent 9 months at physical therapy essentially learning how to run and adapt with my poor biomechanics on my right side. If you've had the pleasure of seeing me run you will quickly spot the defect of my right side, needless to say I often hate the action photos because I always notice it. Running requires the least amount of time of any activity I do. I often do it when the kids are asleep or at school. It's a healthy outlet for me, I clear my head, gather my thoughts, organize my day/week, and on rare occasions when I get to run with my friends it's social.
This weekend, I was super excited for the challenge.....then the rain and thunder started the night before. Thankgoodness the thunder stopped before the race, the rain however did not. Today was tough, we climbed for nearly the first ten miles, in the mud. At times I was focused, my head was in it and I was feeling good. The other times I was overheating, feeling my quads burning and getting angry that I had to work so hard to get my feet out of the mud. Then we hit three miles of steep down hill, that hurt the knees. Prior to the race starting I had planned a bail out at the aid station at mile 9 if needed, but I wasn't cold I was just tired and knew I could push through that and because of the rain I was totally disoriented to where I was and not sure what the shortcut back down would be.....and no cell service (thank you AT&T), so I ran pushed through and was so happy near the finish when I heard Rick. It's a love hate relationship with running, but pretty sure the benefits outweigh the cost.
Thank you to Rick for his support this weekend, plus a wonderful weekend away in one of our favorite spots, we needed that!
The before and after....I pretty much feel as bad as I look!

No comments: