Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lucky Girl

Spending so much time on the bike the last couple of weeks I've had a lot of time to think.  I took yesterday off to ride while the kids were in school, 4 + hours alone on the bike can actually be quite blissful!
The conclusion:   I am enjoying my life!  Like I said in the last post I am enjoying being present for all the small things in my kids life, as well as their big moments.
There was also a shift in my thinking after an incident last weekend.  I've always walked a careful line of respect to my ex as the kids father, but I can't say the same has always been given to me, and it became clear.  I was upset at first, then realized it actually gave me a sense of peace to move forward.  My kids love their Dad, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but the reality is he only lived with Lo for 7 years of her life.  She has amazing memories I hope she cherishes from those years, but she has so much room in her heart for loving others also. 
We shared tonight with Rick,  so many things felt  right.  I'm fairly certain a year ago he wouldn't have thought he'd be watching a dance recital, and going to frozen yogurt after.  As I enjoy these moments with my kids, I get to enjoy them as first in Rick's life as well.  I love the balance of our life together.  We have our own independence, but we also have this great "family" life together.  I say family because he is so willing to accept my life with my kids.  They are with me almost everyday (no complaints there), so there's  little alone time but we enjoy any time spent together,  cooking dinner,  Friday movie nights at his house (where Lo insists he has the most comfortable couch, and causes her to fall asleep every time), sneaking out for a quick ride together, or even babysitting my nephews with us!  This is the life I love!
As we ended our evening tonight, Luke went to bed, I was telling Lo to wash her face and get her jammies on while I told Rick goodnight, but she was lingering.  Finally I asked if she needed help, nope she just wanted to tell Rick goodnight and give him a hug.  Can't tell you how much this warms my heart.  Later she and I talked about it in bed, she said how much she likes him, and how she loves how happy he makes me.  That girl is one smart little lady!

No comments: