Thursday, September 12, 2013

Still Going Strong

I keep getting asked if now that my race is over am I taking it easy. The answers no, I don't think I ever take it easy! I still work out just as much, and perhaps more because rest days aren't scheduled. The difference is though, I do what I want. When I was training for Ironman Lake Steven I had three swim/run days, and three bike days a week, all with a semi structured workout. I've just gotten back in the pool (after swimming in a 50 meter pool and the lake, going back to the 25 yard pool was a bit like running on a treadmill), I've been running 3 days a week, with no plan other than to get my butt out there. How far I go depends on how I feel, which is nice since this is my least favorite! I have been loving the bike. I haven't been doing as many 50/60 mile rides but three days a week I ride 30-40 miles each.  I do this because it's good for my mind and body, and I have time to do it.  I love training and sometimes racing, but right now, it's about my time in the day.  That one quite time.  I love my job, but I talk to people for 6 hours straight, then the moment I get my daughter from school she talks ALL night, I wouldn't have it any other way, I just need a few hours in between of quite, where I can gather my thoughts, think the days plan through, and ponder the next step in life.  I have to say it also calls me down, I love the feeling after a good workout!
 
Yesterday was hill repeats (3x)
Today was a mile swim, and then Kaiser and I made it 8 miles in the heat. We were both a hot sweaty(me), him a wet (canal cool off) mess!
 
On other news, the 10k run my son did, well he was 2nd overall in the men's. I personally think distance and endurance is his thing. He does alright in short runs, but he is more of a pacer. He has an uncanny ability to not feel pain and just settle in, so far the longer the better for him. He beat his Dads last 10k time by over 10 minutes and mine by 6, the kid is fast! I am very very proud of him. Like I've said before I grew up playing tennis , I never understood why someone would choose to run, so the fact that he has chosen this as a teen, I am very impressed!
 

No comments: