Saturday, October 17, 2015

NYC Budget Tips

I get asked a lot about how I find deals and how I can travel so often. First travel is a priority of mine, as with anything if you set it as a priority you make it happen. Single parenting, I had to get creative, but fortunately I don't spend money in other ways that add up. Going out, shopping, TV....I spend it traveling.

For NYC in particular I've found bundling a package is by far the best way to go. If you use miles, you'll pay a fortune on a hotel in the city, so unless you feel adventurous and stay at an airbnb (I've heard lots of positives to this), then save your miles for Hawaii and bundle a room/air package from Travelocity, Expedia, or Orbitz (those are my tried and trues). This trip actually cost me less than renting a condo in Seaside, OR next summer for my daughters dance competition.

My kids and I are Broadway junkies, so staying in (or around) Times Square makes the most sense so we can walk to the theaters and have access to TKTS (more on that in a second). I personally have stayed in four hotels around this area. Cleanliness and nice beds are number one for me. I prefer to stay at places with a breakfast included because this saves a ton on eating out for breakfast and convenience. My number one choice and the one I am regretting not staying at for this trip is the Hampton in North. On 8th and around 50th so it's great proximity to Central Park, and a block off Broadway. You have to walk a few blocks to get to the center of things, but this is actually kind of nice too because the Places around it are a little more quiet than in the heart of Times Square. It was actually recommended to me on my first trip by a fellow blogger (thanks Amy). Rooms are roomy, very clean, free wifi (another must after a costly lesson), and breakfast. This place can easily fit a family of four comfortablely.

I've stayed at the Sheraton on 7th and won't stay again. Rooms are small (typical in NYC, but for the cost there's better), at the time a couple years ago they charged PER device for wifi to the tune of around $18 a day (this was the costly lesson), and no breakfast, and the lobby has a strong smell like Aborcombie and Fitch making my throat swell every time we Ran through.

The Double Tree Times Square we stayed at last year, we got a great rate because they were in the middle of a major renovation. All rooms are suites so very spacious, clean, and a small fridge, and wifi include. Downside no breakfast, but you are right across the street from the TKTS box office.

Finally the Premier, a Millennium hotel. Pictures online make it look better. I can't tell if they are in the process of updating, or already did in a cheap way. Cleanliness, is not exactly to my standard. Rooms are small, and ok for two, but anymore would be hard. However for their shortcomings they do make up for it in a few areas. Staff is by far the friendliest I have ever encountered. They have a really nice breakfast (once you get past the worn couches in the dining area), and bonus Happy Hour where they have complimentary beer, wine and appetizers. They definitely don't skimp on the food, it was amazing after a day on our feet in the city. Free Wifi that's actually good too!

If you love Boradway, and want to see several shows, buy your tickets at TKTS. They offer day of tickets at up to 60% off. It is best to get there at least 30 minutes before they open for best choice and seats. Do your homework before you come and read what's out and in preview. We've caught a lot of shows in preview that go on to win Tony's the following year. Theaters are small in NYC with the expection of the shows you can't seem to get discount tickets to anyways like Book of Mormon, Lion King and Wicked, so most seats are great. TKTS is now offer something very cool. If you buy your tickets at TKTS, and plan to see another show within 7 days, save your tickets and you get to get in the "fast" pass lane. Benefit you can get there 10-15 minutes before and be in the front of the line. I scored middle center close seats to Les Mirerables at 50% off this way this morning.

Ok, here's one more thing on our budget travel. We do not eat much. Not joking. Food adds up, which is why we do the free breakfast. I pack bars for snacks on the go, and we grab things at night for dinner like a slice of pizza or subway. This is not for everyone, but this is the way I was able to travel with my kids while I was living solo with them. It works for us, other than my son complains he always loses weight on vacation! When it's Rick and I traveling, this doesn't work for him, so I increase my budget for food!

No comments: