Friday, October 30, 2015

One More Year

A year ago we rushed this guy to the vet for emergency surgery for Bloat, Gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV)

Dogs can die of this within hours, it was one of the scariest moments I've been faced with in an animal. To realize (once we met the on call vet at night), there was a likely chance my dog could die, and he was suffering, is terrifying. Kaiser is neurotic, big, hairy, needy and a bit of a handle full at times, but in that moment I needed him to live. I wasn't ready to say good bye. You'll get this if you are a dog owner, otherwise it may sound crazy, but he gets me and I get him. He was with me when I first started running, we've been on most of the foothills trails together, he and I discovered all the great hikes in the Cascades together. He protected the kids and I in our home when we were left without someone to protect us. At my saddest times I look at him and his intense stare and offering of his paw lets me know it's ok.

A year later, he's actually been back on the trails for up to 5 miles and not as frequent, but his arthritis has been doing ok. I don't know how much more time I will get with him, but I'm sure glad we got this extra year.

 

 

 

 

No comments: