Monday, March 17, 2014

A Few Things

House Hunt/ Wedding. We are no closer to making any further commitments, but we are gathering a lot of information! We both feel very fortunate to be in the position we are in. We are in no rush, we are not having kids together, we have two roofs over our head, we are in a very good place. I rather like the gathering of information, what to do with it is the hard part! Details stress me out, as for the wedding I would be great with running away and marrying the man I love, however this is Ricks first (and only) wedding, his family is very important to us and want to include them (and of course my family). I think once we decide when, this will help us determine where, then I may just turn over the planning to my sister, Lo and one of my best friends, they're good with these things!
The tricky part with the houses, we want to wait to move in together to closer to the wedding. We've looked at four houses that varied about 150k in price from each other, you'd think there would be options, but there's not. Part of it is we pretty much know exactly what it is we want in our home together and don't need to settle until we find or build it. 2 of the houses were nice, with some great features, just not what we are looking for. The other two I couldn't get out of fast enough!
What's important to us....layout. We want a home that we can live on one level, but have plenty of room for our family. I want a place that when my kids have kids of their own, they will come back and stay. Ideally we want a rambler with a daylight basement. The other thing, that may be more difficult to accommodate, we want a place where Rick can have a bike shop, ideally in the house or off an attached garage. We both have quite a few bikes, plus all our other outdoor gear, and it's not going anywhere. This is part of our life, and I am happy to accept we need to find a home with space for that!
I will admit I am having a hard time wrapping my head around parting with my house. It's not perfect for us, I know, but this weekend I went to the park (just around the corner) to throw the ball for my dogs, one of my best friends lives across the street, she and her husband came over. Lo and a friend were there playing volleyball. As I walked home another friends husband passed by and honked, then later that night we walked down to some friends a block away for an evening outside enjoying their pizza oven and the company of other neighborhood couples. I love where my house is, it is exactly who I am, and while I love the quite and serenity of Ricks house, I also very much love my neighborhood and being so close to friends, walking distance close. All this makes deciding what's best even harder!
 
In the meantime this is what's been going on.
Lo and I completed the last of our eight hours of cake decorating class (that's a story in itself)
 
Obie got some love
My man had his fastest time ever in the Fondo.
 
Thinking the new Set Coaching kits looking really good on these fellas!

 

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I think it will make all the difference that you aren't in a hurry! I wish I could say that I was enjoying our house hunt a little bit more. It's just so competitive.

Can I ask where you are doing your cake class? I *so* want to do that with my daughter!! She must tell me once a month that she wants to learn to decorate cakes!

Jenni said...

Lo has been asking forever. We did the continuing Ed at the college. We did part one and two. I was ridiculously frustrated with the time and money I spent for the first class, but the second was better. I would say ask around and don't sign up until you know of someone that's taken it before!!

Kristen said...

Ooh! Thanks for that tip! I'll ask around - that is great advice!

have a great day, Jenni!

Unknown said...

I look forward to watching over your future house when you find it! Also, I'm glad you survived cake class :)