Saturday, March 22, 2014

The List gets Bigger

I've been putting a lot of time into planning our trip down under. I basically search about ten different search engines for an hour a day seeing what routes, fairs, and times are new (have I mentioned I love information, and researching in general). Prices to the land of Oz were getting downright ridiculous so I typed in Thailand, then used the social media (FB) and threw it out there for tips. Well I compiled (and still compiling) GREAT info, as well as contacts. Then Australia went down again (on Emerites Air going through Dubai, and yes for a few days I also considered taking a 14 hour plane to Dubai only to catch another 14 hour plane to Sydney), but what this has done is made other airlines competitive again, so we're back on for Sydney, but now I have a huge desire to experience Thailand in the near future!
 
I also need to clear something up. It is just the kids and I going. Most assume Rick is going then a little shocked when I say no. People, this is all good with BOTH of us. He of course was asked, however he would rather not fly anywhere for that long and I respect that. We have been fortunate to travel quite a bit together the last couple of years, and I love when he joins us, but I am also very capable of going on my own. This was something VERY important I learned after my divorce. I didn't jump right into another relationship, or depend on anyone else to take care of myself and kids. I had time to gain my (much needed) independence and confidence in myself. Something I had craved for years, but wasn't able to achieve, to no fault of anyone else but myself.
Rick and I talked today about what a healthy relationship we have. Someone (obviously not close to us) said the other day "I don't think Rick ever stands up to you", this struck me as odd at first, but then made me so very happy. Perhaps that's how my previous relationship was, each of us always trying to "stand up" to the other, but this is not my life now. There is no "standing up" to each other, we discuss things and listen to each other, and I love it. When I decided that I would be taking my kids to Australia, I knew it was unlikely Rick would want to go. Traveling is my passion and I make it a priority, my fiancĂ© likes travel to an extent but for the cost of a trip like this he'd rather get a new bike, and I love this about him. I love that he knows what makes him happy in life. It's a mutual respect we have for one another, he gets my love for travel and is great with me coming and going, and I am great with him buying as many bikes as his heart desires, and spending hours out in forested lands or on the road with the guys riding them. It's good for him, makes him happy and he deserves it. I think if you asked him the same about me and travel he'd say the same thing.
 
Because I spend my free time searching for that unbelievable deal, my camera isn't being used, but here's a cute shot from this morning!
 
 

No comments: