Monday, July 14, 2014

Kids and Nature

I think John Muir said it best when he said
I couldn't agree more, add my kids to that and life is pretty perfect. I've come to the conclusion that my favorite hike/trailrun in these parts is taking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) to Lake Valhalla. It never fails. I always love every part of it. If my kids get to pick they both pick this one. I seem to find myself there three or four times each year. The season for this hike is relatively short. We went last weekend which is pretty early, and encountered intermittent spots of large amounts of snow mixed in with perfectly clear and dry trails. Shorts, tank tops were our attire yet standing on a huge snow field massively sweating. It was awesome. I was glad I opted to wear my Salomon speed cross 3, instead of my usual go to brooks cascadias. They have a bit more grip plus the gortex around the bottom was nice for all the snow.
The trail is great (when it's clear of snow) for almost anyone. I think (aside from the beauty of this hike), my favorite part is the spot down at the lake. I love not being rushed and taking our time there to enjoy. If your lucky enough to get an early start you get to be the only ones at the lake. Definitely one of my favorites places to be.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: