Thursday, July 3, 2014

Unexpected Happiness

Sometimes we find happiness in the least of likely places. A year ago I was lap swimming to prepare for a mile and a quarter open water swim, the first leg in my 70.3 triathlon, the leg I feared the most. I would show up faithfully at the indoor pool twice a week, then the outdoor and lake two to three times a week, out of fear. Wanting to be competent and comfortable in the water, not caring about speed.
I never would've believed then I would get to the point of choosing to continue to swim because I enjoyed it. Getting myself to the indoor is not always fun, but the city outdoor pool is a 50 meter and the noon swim is one of my favorite excercises yet. So much so I do my runs at the A&& crack of dawn so I can sneak in an hour swim at noon. I love the way I feel in the water and after, I love what it does for my body, on the inside and out. I love my "swimmers" tan line. I love that I see progress. I am FAR from fast, but a year ago swimming down and back in the 50 was hard, today as I swam with my waterproof iPod (BEST.GIFT.EVER, thank you Rick) I smiled because I wasn't out of breath or winded or talking myself into being done. As with each noon swim, I swim the hour, until it's time to get out. I love feeling a bit like I am part of the "swimming" community. I love how everyone there loves this time of year and appreciates this great pool. I love when I look around and see a few that I saw on my run, or will see on my ride tomorrow. You see, this what we do for ourselves. Some go turn to wine, or other mind altering substances, or subcumbemd to depression, and anxiety, but for my like minded friends in the pool, out running, riding, and lifting, this is what we do for ourselves to clear our mind, re focus, be great parents, it's our therapy and it's actually good for us!
 
 

No comments: