Sunday, July 13, 2014

The 4th (well actually the 5th)

Last weekend Rick and I road tripped down to the "Palouse" (I can say that now that I've spent more than 3 hours there), for those out of Washington State I am refering to Pullman Wa (home to WSU) and Moscow Idaho. Ricks oldest sister lives in Moscow and they have a beautiful family farm in Pullman that her son was getting married at. I had the pleasure of meeting his nephew and future bride shortly after we started dating when they motorcycle toured parts of Washington coming over the North Cascades Highway. I instantly liked them, such a cool young couple. They were engaged 11/11/11 at 11:11, so I have been very much looking forward to this wedding for a couple of years now!
I love weddings. Perhaps it's because I appreciate love more now. I look at two promising young people committing their lives to each other. That will share all life's ups and down together, they will grow, and they will love differently than they do now, not in a bad way, just a way that matures with time. I love it all.
These two are such insightful young people, I wish I had been like that in my twenties. They are also very much full of life and are two individual people that respects each other's individuality.
Weddings give me time to reflect, think and envision.  I guess the benefit to actually failing at a marriage (clearly speaking for myself), is choosing to take the time to reflect and figure out what didn't work. For me, it's that I was never me. The last four years this has become apparent. I was in a relationship for 14 years, one that started when I was 18. I melded myself to one person. Everything I did, he did, and everything he did I did. I didn't have a group of girlfriends I was close to and he didn't have guy friends. We had a few friends together, if there was a get together or getaway  he went with me. We never developed who we were as individuals. I met the group of friends I have now late 2007, I had no idea the benefit to having true best friends. Friends you love, friends that you can spend time with, just the girls. I didn't even realize all of this until meeting Rick. He has some pretty solid friends. Ones that make him happy to be around, in return this makes me happy. It's also beneficial, I have no desire to ride my Mtn bike for 8 hours, but he loves it, because we respect and love each other (as individuals) I love when he goes and does this and grabs a beer with the guys after. Just like I know he has no desire to see a concert in Central Park, but I have girlfriends that would gladly jump on a plane for a weekend to NYC. Discovering who I am has been one of the greatest journeys. I am a much better mother because of it, and I know I will be a much better wife.
I'd say my ex and I were young and this is why it didn't work, but that's not true, there are plenty of young couples that work. We didn't work because we didn't have the confidence in ourselves (and likely each other), to be our own person.
Looking at Mitch and Laura, they are the real deal. Seeing their excitement to start their lives together fills my heart with all the possibilities for them, as well as for Rick and I. It was such a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, wedding. True to their personalities! I sat back and enjoyed most of the ceremony, so there's only a few photos, but I think you'll get the idea!

Love, it is a beautiful thing!

No comments: