Thursday, July 26, 2012

Perspective

Sometimes you need to change your thought!  That's what my friends are for!  Summers are a little different being divorced.  This is our second summer sharing time.  Prior to being divorced I loved summers with the kids.  I loved lazy afternoons, impromptu trips, weekends with no agenda's, loved this.  Unfortunately things change when you have to share.  In the summer Lars gets one extra night a week, so every other weekend he has the kids Friday night to Monday am, and his usual Wednesday night.  I do realize I have an ok schedule in light of the situation, I only go 4 days a month (in the summer) without seeing them a full day, but again these are MY kids, it would never be my choice to miss out on days with them.  I am thankful they were a bit older (13 and 8) when as this went down, can't imagine them being younger than that and missing out on so much of their life....ughh!
This summer, I was in a position to take Fridays off.  This has honestly been the best decision ever and taking full advantage of time with my kids, even if it means having a chill day, doing nothing but hanging at the house!
We have managed to hike most of the hikes we wanted to do, go to the waterslides, got in a Methow trip,  a NYC trip and will head to Bend in a couple weeks for an extra long weekend.  It has all required planning.  Gone are the days of just deciding to go on a whim, I now have a parenting plan!.  I was whining about sharing time to my friend and her reply "think of the alternative", this was the BEST perspective, and I needed that!  I could still be in an unfilled, unfaithful relationship, not getting to experience life the way it should be lived.  Sometimes you need that perspective, and you need your friends!  I love them.

That being said besides traveling this summer, Luke has been running with the cross country team every morning at 7am.  I am so proud of him and his commitment!  Lo is finishing a 2 week summer musical theatre camp at the PAC.  It's 9-3 each day.  Everyday when I pick her up she can't stop talking about how great it is, and what they've learned.  Wonderful experience!  Plus she has decided to give hip hop a try and does that Wednesday nights!  Love her spunk!  
Goodness school is just around the corner.....

No comments: