Saturday, February 9, 2013

Slowly but Surely

I've mentioned before I often go into a running funk at the beginning of winter, flat out don't want to do it, and don't.  I take a break, pretty much from the time Sage Hills closes until the roads are clear and the sun is shining.  In saying a break, I go from running three days a week to one.  I run one 5 ish mile run a week, just to remind my body what it's supposed to do when I get back into it!

I like to enjoy running, therefor if I'm not,  I simply take a break and know I will enjoy it again.
I didn't race much last year (travel become more of a priority than race fee's), but the year before, 2011, which was the year my divorce was final.  I raced and truly became a runner.  Not knowing how I would be able to fit everything in as a single mom, I decided running races would give me a great focus.  I needed that release and time to think in my day.  Running also requires a lot less of a time commitment than bike events or Tri's (didn't say easier, just less time).  The goal was a 10k, half then the marathon.  I ran my personal best in all three, the 10k I had never been able to break the 50 minute mark and ran it in 48minutes, same with the half, my very first one was 1:55 and had gotten it down to 1:50 but couldn't break it, until I ran with my dear friend and tried to keep up with her, pushing me to a 1:46 finish.  The same time I setting these goals, I found out my Ex's girlfriend was running the same marathon (yeah what are the chances of that ), so quite honestly a good goal was to beat her, and I did.  Training provided great motivation to stay on track and focus on my goals.  I enjoyed almost each run,  the closer I got to my goals, the more my heart and mind healed.  Running proved to be a wonderful therapy.  My long runs were often just my dog and I it was wonderful.

Since then, I've haven't been as focused, and I am ok with that.  I spent the winter skate skiing a ton, and enjoying it.  I opted to run this morning, my dog has been neglected in this department, since I took a break, and I think we both enjoyed it.  I ran happy.  I'm not to running 10 miles yet, because I don't want to push it.  I've stayed in great shape, but I know when I get too eager ed I get injured, so slowly and surely my dog and I are entering back into the running world, and happy to be doing so!

Now on to birthday prepping!   Lo's birthday is on the 12th, but every year, not really sure how this happens it always last the whole month.  This weekend its the family party, next weekend it's her birthday weekend in NYC, then the following week, her friends party! 

In writing this post, I have thoroughly enjoyed 3 cups of this!

My least favorite thing (along with chicken) to touch, but I've been told I cook great meat for a vegetarian!

No comments: