Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Embracing Life

We are in full summer mode in the Hakensen house, and loving it! Feeling pretty fortunate to have a job, in which I control my schedule. Clearly being self employed I need to be working to make money, but my material needs are minimal, and I am very good at living well within my means.
Three years ago my ex and I lost two friends to cancer within 6 weeks of each other. One a 32 year old mom of two and the other a father in his early forties, I have two friends in their thirties currently fighting for their lives against brain cancer, all this puts my life in perspective. My time here on this earth has no guarantees, but the one thing I do know is I want to soak in every possible moment I can with my kids while they are still young (ish). I did this last year and doing it again this year, during the summer I cut my work time by almost half. I am lucky that I love my job, and do look forward to showing up to it, but for the summer when the kids are home this gives me a nice balance. My son is driving this summer and has more freedoms, so it's pretty much Lo and I each day. I kind of want to make this summer about her, she's such an awesome kid, always going along with whatever everyone has going, but sometimes it needs to be about her. She has several camps lined up that she's really excited about, plus every Friday she gets to have a friend over and head to Chelan. My son is gone on various trips this summer, so she'll get to experience a little "only child" time at my house. At her Dads she  doesn't get to have friends over or much, because they also have his GF's  kids around (and there again she nevers complains, and is wonderful with them) yet she's really at that age where for years she's watched her brother and all his buddies hang out, now she wants that, and lucky me, I can give her that!  Although sleepovers are a whole other deal, boy sleepovers are super easy, the girls,  goodness sake they are loud, and don't sleep!
So far we havent done anything spectacular, but we've certainly enjoyed taking time around here....even finding time to bathe our overly dirty dogs!
Enjoying the outdoor pool
A long overdue groom
Oh and chasing rainbows

No comments: