Monday, April 7, 2014

Cabs, Airports, Planes

I love 98% of this. 1.5% of the dislike is the cab ride from Manhattan to JFK. Three times going and coming my son and I barely make it without throwing up, seriously, EVERY TIME, and only in NY. The other .5% is security at JFK. The armed guards unnerve me from the get go, then the several checkpoints to get to security, granted as a former airline employee I appreciate the measures taken to ensure our safety, but waiting in a slow moving line with hundreds of people, trying not to lose my photo ID while getting my belt, shoes, and coat off, not fun. Typically security doesn't bother me, especially flying out of Wenatchee, it's a breeze. Just 2% of travel bothers me and that's it!
The plane I LOVE, like I get excited to get on and sit down for hours. My life is so busy (often my own doing), I love the possibility of being able to read for 5 hours and sleep when I am tired. I LOVE being unconnected, no wifi (although sadly that's changing), no internet, no texts, just quiet time. It reminds me of a time not too long ago before we became a society glued to our phones for every last update. * ok one more traveling peeve, although it's not the travel but the people. The amount of people that are looking at their phones while walking in a crowded airport not bothering to look up or watch where they are going, then completely surprised when they run into you, drives me crazy! *
 
I know I've gone over this before but if you are late catching on, I get asked a lot how I afford traveling so much:
 
1. It's a priority for me. Like shopping for some, I rarely spend money on clothes, house accessories, shoes (with the exception of running shoes). My money goes to travel. Just like anything you put your mind to, when you decide where you like to spend money you make that a priority. (This of course is after the necessities are paid, mortgage, utilities, college money for kids set aside.
 
2. I NEVER (this is a rule I hold firm to) book a trip before I have the money to pay for it. I typically book trips 3-6 months out, but only when the money is in my checking ready. After I book, I then start putting my spending money aside. Some people aren't comfortable traveling with cash, but this is typically what I use. I only spend what I have (you can do this without bringing the actual cash, but also like booking the trip have it set aside). I NEVER come back from vacation with new debt. I have to say if you travel on a budget one way to stay on budget is staying away from pricey alcoholic drinks. This isn't a big deal for me because I rarely drink, and I really hate paying for it. My guess is cutting out a few beverages each meal will save a couple hundred dollars when you are in big cities (note in Hawaii I am not above getting Mai Tai fixings at Costco and having a beverage each night on the lanai).
 
3. Try to avoid peak travel dates. Holidays, Spring break. Being divorced unfortunately now I pretty much have to travel on the breaks because this is the only time I have continuous days with my kids. Prior I often traveled in October or late January. I have found like this trip to NY extending my trip one day into Monday instead of returning Sunday was cheaper.
 
Good luck, happy travels.
 
 

No comments: