Monday, September 15, 2014

Nature+Friends

"Friendship is unnecessary. like philosophy, like art....It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."- C.S. Lewis

I turned to my friends and nature in the midst of my divorce several years ago.  The best decision I ever made.  That year when it got nice I made myself and the kids try a new hike every Friday.  This became "our" time of connecting and healing.  The love and passion this ignited as well as the healing for my children and myself was something I never would've predicted.  Now I am confidant in my knowledge of the woods and wilderness, animals I could potentially encounter and how to hopefully handle it, how much water my camel back holds, how to look for additional water sources, packing for higher elevation and changes in weather...watching the weather.  I go with my kids, friends or alone.
This weekend a group took our friend on a birthday hike to Minotaur Lake.  I do this one each year, and it ranks top in my book.  I hit the lottery in the friend department, as my friend Scott has said many times "he may not be rich in material things, but he is rich in friendship" I couldn't agree more.  I have a group of friends, I love and cherish so much.  They enhance all the good in my life.  Taking in this hike, reflecting at the lake at how lucky we all were, those are the blessings to count.







No comments: