Friday, September 5, 2014

We're Here

First week of school success. Aren't they adorable?!
All has gone well, so far. My son being a senior is a bit bittersweet. One part I am thrilled we and I say we because I have been fully vested in his schooling, with many a meetings, phone calls, emails, checking skyward weekly, and sleepless nights, and we're finally here.  It has not been easy! His freshman year his Dad left and I mistakenly assumed we would continue to be partners in raising him, when there were concerns we'd work it out together, this wasn't to be the case. Different people and priorities were now his life, this uncharted territory of High School and single parenting were mine. Two and a half months into the school year his friend drowned in the school pool and his P.E. class found him. There is nothing, that can prepare you for your son calling you crying, in shock and saying they need you to come get them, they found a body, nothing. This event would change the course of my sons high school and academics for some time.
My son is bright and artistically talented. This is where genetics are fun, his dad is pretty artistic, I am not, however I have patience to stick with projects for hours, days or weeks, and so does my son. In the art world this is a very good combination. Grades however (with the exception of art) unfortunately fell by the wayside. Now he is a senior, the grades are what they are. My wish for him now is to take his time, not rush anything because it's the expected next step, figure out what makes him happy, explore his talents, THEN go from there!
I have to say it has not been a challenge with Lo. perhaps because when her dad left I had already been through the elementary and middle school thing and it didn't seem as scary, or, more likely it's just my daughters and my personalities are much alike, we are planners and we like to be prepared.
Ok this happened tonight too, senior pictures
I will not let this make me sad. I am so grateful to be here, being in my kids life and watching them grow. This is a blessing. I have a friend that lost her best friend a few years ago, her kids were 3 and 1 at the time, my friend Ted died that same year leaving behim his 8 and 6 year old. I am glad I have the opportunity to see this and I will never take it for granted.
Ok now a glimpse as my life.
This is it folks, the magic to fitting it all in. When I do the "run of shame" from Ricks house to meet my friend for a run, before heading home the alarm is for 4:37, I am out the door by 4:47. Getting two runs in a week at this time allows me the time to fit the noon swim in (just don't expect much out of me after 5pm)! 5:36 is the work alarm. 6:14 is my non working mornings, I love the time to myself, I love making Lo her big breakfast for when she wakes (soon after), Or getting a workout in before she ever gets up. That's my life, with kids.

No comments: