Monday, January 30, 2012

The Season of Thunder Thighs

Reading my friend Sarah's blog, I had an "yep I feel the same way thought" with this post.  As a cyclist I struggle every year with my thighs, strong they are, but along with that comes trying to find a size 27 pair of jeans for narrow hips that can make it over my thighs.  Why in the world hasn't anyone created an athletic cut jean?  Last year I didn't bike as much,   just trained for the marathon, because it didn't require much time.  The truth of the matter is I love to bike, but I am competive, and like to be good.  If I can't give it a 100% in training I don't have as much fun.  As weather would have it, I have managed to stay on my bike outside through December this year, but that also means I have already built that pesky thigh muscle.  I had to laugh when I made this comment to Sarah, she said "getting a jump on this years season", I guess that's one way to look at it!
 In order to get where I want to on my bike this year, I am going to have to put the time in on it.  For me those 3 hour rides sometimes are going to have to be done 1/2 outside and 1/2 on the trainer.  And while it somehow tones everything, my legs are going to get bigger.
The bottom line for me is, I am happy in my life, and actually quite happy with my body, as imperfect as it is.  I don't think (actually I know) I wouldn't have been able to say that in my twenties.  I am at a place in life where I can appreciate what my body allows me to do.  I appreciate it letting me push beyond what I believe are my limits, it's that stength that gives me confidence.

No comments: