Friday, January 25, 2013

4 Laps..DONE!

I know my life is good!  I have amazing kids, a great man, and at a point in my life that's mature and evolved.  My kids are older, I have more free time.  Fridays I like to have to myself, after I work in Lo's classroom.  So today I drove up to Leavenworth to ski, set my goal for the morning of 3.5 laps (28k), knowing my real goal was 4 laps (32k).  See that's how I am with goals, I set ones that are attainable yet a challenge and respectable for that day, but I always go over them, always.  If I set out for a 4 mile run, I usually run 5.  Just the way I do it.
With very few time constraints on Fridays I knew I really should take advantage of it, so I went for it.  Followed what a friend said a few weeks ago and did the first lap without poles, next 2.5 were easy, last .5 I was hungry and thirsty (forgot my water).
2 hours 10 minutes later I got a kick arse workout.  For me it wasn't the physical challenge of this so much, as it was the mental challenge.  Loops are NOT my thing.  I seemed to have given my Ipod shuffle to Luke so music was out of the question, it was me and my thoughts, and I did it.
I have to say, most events for me are like this, I have great mental toughness (one I have worked on for years), and often it far outweighs my physical abilities. 

*On another ski note, Luke and I did the full moon ski last night (too socked in though to see the moon), as some of you might remember last year, we got to the back meadow and saw "creatures" that at the time we were fairly certain was a cougar ready to pounce on us, then quickly made our way back to the front only to hear "wolves" howling at the moon (never mind there are no known wolf packs in the area).  We redeemed ourselves this year, we may have taken Rick as our scout, but we did it, and had fun!
Full moon ski (with no moon)


Today

No comments: