Monday, January 28, 2013

She Does It!

The kids didn't have school again today for records day.  The last two weeks Lo has expressed an interest to go Nordic ski again.  Last time she tried it (maybe 4 years ago) was a fail.  We were all at the golf course and I left her dad and her to it, came up to them in the back she was in tears, and he had lost all patience.  Since then she made up her mind she didn't like it.   I skied early this weekend and asked each time if she wanted to go then, but she told me "she doesn't really do the morning thing" OK, whatever.  I had a pretty good feeling today would be as good as it gets, it was warm (30 degrees) and a weekday, so very few people.  The main goal was just to let it be about her, and cross my fingers she enjoyed it.
She did great, and loved it.  We went to the hatchery (so she and Luke could go to O'gradys after, and I could skate a couple more laps), there's the "front" half of the loop, and in that front half, near the back, there's a cut off that will allow you to avoid the 1 hill on this half, making this micro loop 2k, we got done, I asked her if she was ready for hot chocolate or wanted to go again, to my surprise she wanted to go again.  So lets hope this memory of a good time gets stuck in her head!

Another bonus also happened.  I haven't been on my classic skis since I  learned to skate 5 years ago, but figured if I was going to teach her I better be doing the same, so I'd know what I was talking about.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoy classic skiing, also forgot how hard it is to be good at the technique.  I read somewhere the best nordic skiers spend 60% on their classics and 40% on their skates, well I love skating too much to give up that much time on them, but my new goal is on Fridays to always do 1 lap classic, then hit the skates!


there she is in action!

A glimpse of my car...all winter.  My bf insist the rack I have on my car will ruin my ski's

No comments: