Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Exception to the Rule

Oh my was I looking forward to this weekend!  The kids and I have been CRAZY busy, with track several nights a week, Lo's volleyball two nights a week, add appointments, concerts and lots of homework to the mix the last two weeks, this mama was tired and looking forward to letting their dad take a little bit of the responsibilities.  It is rare that I like my kids to be away.  Recently I was doing a glass half full/half empty deal.  I was feeling mopey that I don't have the option to be with my kids 365 days a year, I'm a numbers gal, so I actually sat down and figured out exactly how many days in the year I go without seeing my kids.  Here you have it, twice a month (which is every other Saturday, this also means I have the kids 13 days in a row, after that Saturday).  5 days at Christmas break and 2 at Spring break.  I don't have it so bad.  Maybe it's the principle behind it, or it's a maternal thing (for most that is)!   Their Dad and his girlfriend kind of like to be the fun time people on their limited time with my kids.  I'd like to see rules and responsibilities set, but it's not going to happen, and in a way I get it.  This weekend though was the start of Apple Blossom, I wanted as little to do with it as possible.  I don't like the crowds its brings, I don't trust the food in the park, amongst a few.  All I want to do is be in the hills running or on my bike far away from it.  I fully embraced letting the kids go to their dads this weekend so I could do just that!  I've had 16 years of doing the festivities with the kids, I was happy (VERY happy) to avoid the carnival, food fair, and parade(I did venture down for Lo's dance performance in the park, and that was enough).  I biked, I ran, I enjoyed clean healthy food, we even tilled the garden.  I stayed both nights at Ricks.  We often go between the two houses, but his felt like such a peaceful get away.  His master bedroom looks to Sage Hills and is so calming, compared to the sirens going off in my neighborhood nonstop during this week.  He also has the most comfortable couch in the whole world and cable television, we sat, relaxed and watched a program on National Geographic about the extreme ice survey.   Truly lovely.  This weekend was the exception to the rule for me, as far as my kids being away, but it was wonderful.  It feels good to embrace it, without the guilt.

Here's a few photos of my lovely run this am.  I had the trail to myself until I ran into a familiar face 6 miles into my run!


No comments: