Sunday, June 15, 2014

Just Me and the Girl

Being 12 isn't easy, and as a parent to a 12 year old at this stage it's important to be present. Be there, parent, love and listen. I love one on one alone time with my kids. My son got a lot of it for almost the first five years of his life before his sister was born, but my daughter has had very little of it until recently. I knew it would work this way, as he gets older and more independent, after all he will be an adult next year, so that leaves it with just Lo and I.
Yesterday was perfect, she went to work with me in the morning, we went home filled the camelback, sliced up some apples and grabbed a bagel and went to hike to Eightmile Lake.
It had been a couple years since we had done this one, and at that time came under a full assault from the mosquitoes. Eightmile is a great hike for kids. It's about 7 miles with just a gradual incline up. Very pretty, the only downside is recent fires have left it pretty exposed so it's very warm in places.
It was perfect, just her and I, at her speed, her dictating the conversation, pointing out the different types of rocks, watching chipmunks and picnicking at the lake. This girl is special and time with her is precious. I feel sorry for those that don't realize this.

No comments: