Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bike and Thoughts...

I've had the opportunity to ride a lot (for me) the last 3 days.  I love what I feel like on the bike, but even more I love what I feel like after.  It's rare for me to have 2-3 hours of time to just think, and even though each day was spent riding with someone you simply can't always talk , it's pretty much a guarantee there will be wind at least one direction, so you can't hear anything either.
In 2007 I first started biking with the encouragement from my ex, but later that year after experiencing the first of  an ongoing cycle (ironic choice of word, I know) of lies and betrayal it became my escape, the place I could breath, collect my thoughts and face the rest of the day.  I am glad it's not that anymore, but it still is my favorite time, or place to think, on the bike!

Friday I was invited up to Leavenworth to ride.  It was fabulous!  I ponder moving to Hawaii...A LOT, but having a job I love, being in love, and most important a high school son that  wouldn't leave, puts things on hold a few years (but don't think I don't try to convince all of them).  So as I was riding Friday, my thoughts just kept coming back to how lucky I was to live so close to Leavenworth, if the kids weren't in school in Wenatchee, I would seriously consider living there.  I'm there 3-4 days a week in the winter, and summers I make my way up a couple times a week, I think it is one of the most beautiful places!  Of course this is along with the Methow, the place I desire to have a second home!

My other thoughts this week were on name change.  I've been officially divorced for over a year now, and just recently people have been asking if I am keeping my name the same.  It's kind of a weird choice to be faced with.  But yes I kept Hakensen, it's been my name for the last 14 years, I really like Lars' Dad and his wife, and most important, it's my kids name.  I know it's just a name, but I like having the same name as my kids!
Icicle ride with Munly

Leavenworth loop with Margo

1 comment:

Jack and Susie Evans said...

Hawaii is a nice place to visit but a difficult place to work and live. Most people I know who try to survive in Hawaii are either retired with money but come up against the big problem of a 5 hour flight to visit grandkids on the mainland. The others are younger and have trouble finding a good job and are living fairly "close to the ground" because the jobs don't pay well and do not have benefits. Traveling to the mainland is an even bigger problem to them and living conditions are often sub-standard. I would stay on the mainland and save up money for nice vacations there.