Wednesday, April 4, 2012

To Sell or Not...

I put my house on the market this fall (even though my friend Jenn had strict instructions from me, to NOT allow me to do anything drastic for at least a year to the date of my divorce being final, I reassured her this was ok) . 

I love my house, but more than my house I love where it's at.  I love being walking distance to restaurants, grocery stores and the movie theater.....and I am within blocks of a few of my very best friends.  At the time a house a block away went up for sale, also built in the 1920's, but much smaller than mine.  I loved it.  To the relief of everyone close to me (it my have needed a "little" work) it sold.

I go back and forth almost daily as to whether I want to keep my house listed or not (until I decide I figure may as well).  Like I said I love my house, but I am not attached to it.  The "ex" and I bought this in 2008, its a big, old house, perfect for our family.  I had visions of years of projects, renovations, and transforming it into "ours".  I still have some of those visions, but have  lost the motivation,  and lack the time and money to do it.  A huge part of me craves buying something small and manageable.  I've always liked small spaces.  I am very bad at saving things, I like NOT having a lot (with the exception of bikes).

In a small way I am also craving buying something that is mine, and mine alone.  A place where I get to create and start fresh.  The way the market is, if I were to get a reasonable offer, we (the ex will get 1/2 of whatever would be made minus taxes and closing cost on the sale of the house) walk away with nothing.  I am not bothered in the least by this.  In fact I am not stressed about selling or not selling my house.  The plan is to just run with it for now, yep I think that's what I'll do.  Start my garden, and live in my house, if it sells, then it's meant to be!

My friend Heidi shared this with me and I think it applies to a lot of areas in my life.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You sound so healthy! I remember when we were trying to sell our house I was DYING for it to sell. We ended up practically giving it away. I hope I never have to be in such a desperate situation again!

Blessings to you today!