Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fresh Air

Wednesday are my long workday, but today I was craving getting out to the trails and running with my dog.  Had about an hour before I had to pick up Lo so grabbed Kaiser and Maddy and ran Sage.  Today was not about exercise or a specific workout it was peace of mind and thinking.

Feeling quite frustrated with my kids Dad lately, and his  "spacing out" on choir concerts,  track meets, etc.  Luke PR'd last night at track, 5:26 for the mile!  My Dad and I watched, it was one of those times when you can't quite believe what you are seeing.  You'd have to really know Luke to know what I mean.  He took the lead from the beginning and never stopped.  When I picked him up later that night he was still talking about it.  I was so incredibly happy for him  The fact that their Dad is missing out on these things is his choice.  However  I'm sad for my kids wanting to share this with him, and yet he's not available to them.

Along with that, I had not so good news on Kaiser.  For the last 6  months he's been having trouble walking and running, mainly in his right back leg.  Went to my vet last Friday, had x-rays and was shown he has arthritis.  Not good for a 5 1/2 year old energetic dog.  It's pretty severe and will only continue to get worse until he basically won't be able to control his bladder or use his back end.   I was advised to keep exercising him (keep the muscles surrounding the spine strong), no jumping, but he can run on soft surfaces, trails, or the canal and will remain on anti inflammatory and pain medicine as needed.
I love running with this dog.  He's so happy out there, I feel safe on any of the trails with him.  He's my best running partner, and I'm going to have to say good bye to him way too soon.  Truly breaks my heart.
I ran the canal with him Saturday and seeing him out on Sage today, I've decided I will do my best to give him the quality of life a 5 year old dog should have.   He gets anxious if he's not exercised, so we will continue to enjoy the outdoors together as long as possible.


1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh he's such a sweet puppy! I grew up with German Shepherds and have such a soft spot for those sweet faces. I'm sorry to hear about his arthritis. Poor sweet thing. Without a doubt he wants to be with you on on the trail though!