Sunday, September 16, 2012

6000ft, Closer to Fresh Air

Rick and I loaded the dogs up in an attempt to be outside and away from the smoke, took off to Lake Minotaur and Lake Theseus.  Truth is, I am really glad the kids weren't on it with us.  You gain 1000 feet in the first mile (total gain to  lake Minotaur is 1500 ft in 1.75mile, elevation 5500).  Trail is narrow and steeper than I guessed.  This was a clear case where I misjudged, looked at the distance and thought, piece of cake.    Once you're there though, it's unbelievable.  You reach Minotaur first and it's breathtaking, by far my favorite lake yet, from there we hiked around the lake and back, to cross over a stream to hike up the next hill to see Lake Theseus, again breathtaking.  Summit of Labrynth is just beyond, another 1.75 miles (all the trails leading from Minotaur are relatively flat at this point).
The hike to the lake was not technical, just...steep!  There's not really a hike I can compare it to, but compared to Colchuck which is longer, it makes Colchuck seem easy!  I'd say the closest I could compare it to was Mt Sauer (you gain 2000ft in 2.5 miles).
I'm not saying kids couldn't do it, in fact I know mine could....I just do think my 10 year old would love it as much as I do!

First view of the lake

Happy Dog!

Sitting on the rock thinking it just doesn't get better, when Rick pulled out Hot Tamales for me!

Pretty sure Kaiser was wondering when he could swim again


View of Lake Theseus

1 comment:

kathleen c said...

It's a beautiful hike! This was the FIRST hike I did in the Wenatchee Valley, probably about a year after moving here. We hiked in July and there was still snow on the ground but it was hot!! So weird to be in tank tops and shorts, slogging through snow and sweating!