Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Year Three

Ugh, here we go again. Meaning we've hit that time of year where the kids head to their Dads for a week. I'd be lying if I said it was ok, it's not, I dread it. It's the holiday and I want my kids all to myself. I've had the sick feeling in my stomach all day, and when my daughter asked for extra snuggles last night because she wouldn't be home for a week, it's all I could do to not start crying.
I really try to be ok with it, to put it in perspective. This is the only time the entire year they are gone for a week, yet it still doesn't do much for making the situation ok.
The only thing I can do is figure out the best way to handle the week. I have gotten better at letting go of "my" expectations of how I want their Dad to spend it with them. I used to hope (perhaps out loud to him) he'd take time off and embrace his time with them. See it as a rare opportunity and maximize it. Now I really don't care what he does, I just want the week to go fast!
I try to look at it as an opportunity to do something, my time to visit a friend, go away with Rick, ski everyday.....It typically involves a lot of running, biking or skiing, to the point of exhaustion, so I can sleep but it works.
I know this time will come and go before I know it, but that too is bittersweet. Wishing the holiday time away. Again, UGHHH!
I will say as my kids get older, and through all their electronic devices being in constant communication with each other makes it easier. Ok, here we go!

No comments: