Thursday, May 23, 2013

Motherhood and Training

I am currently on week 8 of a Half Iron training plan (for those that don't know the half iron consists of  it's a 1.25 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run).  This week is a rest week, so I am optimistic about it all.  Last week I thought I had been hit by a train!
I've been toying with this idea to do one for a bit, but getting divorced changed a lot of things.  Suddenly I was parenting alone, and running a business on my own.  All of which I am ok with.  Training is not my life, just an extra bonus if it works out. 
Why a half iron?  Well I had done quite a few duathlons, and had success, I'd done STP on the bike twice, and a marathon so I knew I could handle endurance, figured why not.  I loved the idea of the challenge and my strength is in endurance events.  The challenge will be combining them all.

Before ever signing up I had to make sure my life as a Mother and business owner was organized in such that this would be possible.  My main goal, is NONE of my training would take ANY time away from my kids.  Mornings home with them I would still be able to make big breakfasts, and from the time after school everyday would be about them and their schedules.
I don't work Fridays, so this would obviously be my long bike day, and Saturday or Sunday mornings would be my long run.  Each week there is 3 swims and 3 runs (on the same day) and 3 bikes and 1 rest day).  All other workouts would happen between work and getting Lo from school.

As for all three disciplines.  Swimming is the hardest for me, but in a weird way I am loving all the work.  It reminds me of skate skiing, I worked really hard by going ALL the time to get good.  The swim is not easy, and progress is SLOW, but it's there!
The bike is my favorite, I love having an excuse to put more time on it!  I love heading out for 50/60 miles just me and my bike, or with friends.  I love where I have come on the bike.  Its natural for me, my handling has improved over the years, and weather doesn't scare me.
Which  brings me to the run, honestly I could take it or leave it.  I know what I need to do to get faster, but I don't really care.  I love the trails runs I am doing with no agenda, no watch, no pace and think I will call it good on that!

Here's the thing about following a 16 week plan, makes traveling a little difficult.  Granted we do have a Mt Rainer camping trip planned at the beginning of summer, but I can do my run and my ride there. In true Jenni style though, knowing I could travel once this is done,  I have a trips planned in August, October, and January.....all are now booked and just waiting for me!

No comments: