Sunday, May 12, 2013

So Much on the Brain

I've got so much to blog about and so little time to do so!  In fact my computer life has been minimal lately with work, training and kids.  And YES I am glad I still don't have a smart phone, because quite honestly I don't have time to be on it!
I'll work on a post later this week about my business, it turned 10 years old, which is a pretty big deal, but when I think of doing it for the 10 years, a lot comes to mind!

For now yesterday's Trail Run.
I signed my son and I up for a 5 mile trail run weeks ago.  Was really excited about this run, it's on one of my favorite trails, AND 100% of the entry fee went back to the Chelan Douglas Land Trust, towards their Foothills campaign.  Great GREAT organization! 
I picked up a few of my friends along the way, the temperatures were cooler than they had been, and the engery at the start of the race/run was awesome.  Everyone was there to support the land trust, and for most run a trail they had never been on.  I knew my son could do well on this, he is a fantastic runner, with track going on right now, he is conditioned better than most adults.  I could tell at the start he was getting exicted, he had  never raced 5 miles let alone on a trail.  I pointed out some of the men that I knew would be fast and set a good pace.  This trail is single track the first almost 3 miles, while you gain close to a 1000 feet, passing isn't easy so I told him at the start get in behind those guys.  He did, and claimed 2nd place in the mens overall!  So incrediably proud of him, and he had so much fun doing so!

As for myself, I am not a fast runner.  I am a competitor.  My last two road 10ks, were 48 minutes at the Wenatchee Marathon and 46:40 at the Saul Gallegos, not fast by fast runners standards, but much faster than I would believe I could go!
Not sure what it was about this run, maybe that my son was doing it and I wanted to make him proud as well, or that it was on a trail,  which is what most of my runs are on these days and I was exctied, but I took off at that start not wanting to get stuck not being able to get around on the trail and took off, fell in a line with a couple men and a few woman and off we went.  Looked down at my watch at 2 miles and was feeling quite well, so decided to go around the group and figured what the heck go for it.  Ended up coming in 3rd place, a fun surprise to me.   It had been a hard training week,  and had in fact done a 53 mile ride the day before.  However, in my mind yesterday I thought, I am actually better trained than I maybe ever have been, my body has more ability than  I give it credit for, and I can do it.
This was honestly the most fun I have ever had on a run.

No comments: