Friday, July 26, 2013

Just What We Needed

This was the first Friday this summer, that was not dictated by training, camps or vacation.  My son takes off again next week, then we are on vacation the week after, so it was important for me to have a day with them, without distraction. 
Last fall our dog Kaiser was diagnosed with arthritis, while this is common in older dogs, he is only six.  He's gotten worse, to the point where he looses the use of his left leg, and when it's really bad both.   Before we discovered this last year, we had been hiking quite a bit with him.  Pretty sure for Kaiser the ultimate in life is hiking, herding and swimming.  He got to enjoy Valhalla, Minotaur and Merritt Lakes.  His hiking days are numbered, but while he still can we'd give him that gift.   We decided on my favorite, Minotaur.  Thought this would be perfect, the hike itself is nothing spectacular, it's short and steep, but the Lake is beautiful, with an amazing path around it and views of Lake Theseus. 
The road, leading up to access the trail was closed, as in a no go (too many downed trees).  Having exited the hwy over 10 miles ago we didn't want to mess with alternative routes that may or may not be open and took off for Merritt Lake.  It was a beautiful day to be out there.  We only saw one other group of people.  As soon as we reached the lake, Kaiser looked at me and I gave him the ok, he went running right in, it was wonderful.  A bittersweet moment for sure, my kids understood the importance of giving this to him, they know it may be his last time up there (although we hope not), to see them get that, and embrace it was great.

Not only was it great for Kaiser but me as well.  I LOVE these moments away with them, just the three of us chatting about life.  My son is so busy these days, to have an hour plus drive where he doesn't stop talking,  goodness I just savor it.  I have to say one of the funniest things he was saying as we started the switch backs up the trail.....hiking actually depresses him, he never likes going up, and would much rather be running to get there faster than hiking.....but when he gets there (to a lake, my kids requirement to hike), he forgets he doesn't like it, and when he's done he said he realizes it's not all that bad.  Funny thing is, I could take it or leave it.  I don't mind it, but I am kind of with him on this, I'd rather be trail running, but I do enjoy snapping photo's along the way and the scenery, but for me it's not about hiking, it's about doing something  away from it all, just us.  Conversations, laughs, and time spent together.

As I snuggle my tired girl in bed tonight and listen to the dogs snore, my heart is happy.  This is what  my life is all about.......
This girl has been hiking since she was 5, feel blessed to share this with her

Merritt Lake

Two of the BEST sports around!

Happy Boy

Add caption


No comments: