Sunday, November 17, 2013

Day 17

I am grateful I get to hug my kids and tell them I love them everyday. Two years ago today I got a phone call from my son while I was shopping, I couldn't make out what he was saying because his voice kept cracking. His classmate and friend had drowned in the schools pool, and his PE class found him. My heartbroke as I sped to the school to get him. It broke for my son, his safe, innocent world shattered. To sit by his friend in class just an hour before, somewhere they considered safe, free of worry other than doing bad on a test. Shattered the instant they entered the pool, his world changed that very moment, and I couldn't protect him from this horribly cruel reality, nor make it better. My heart broke for this boys parents, to send your child off to school that morning and never be able to talk to him again, see him grow, or who he would become.
I became a little more protective that day. Through broken hearts I hugged my kids even tighter that day.
Today is in memory of a friend of my son, I never met, but forever impacted our lives.
 
 

No comments: